Thursday, January 13, 2011

winter means root vegetables

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/01/roasted-root-vegetable-wheat-ber/

Definitely making this, or at least something inspired by this. Not tonight, because it's late and I don't have all the ingredients I would like... perhaps tomorrow. Yum.

We still have a good stash of various kinds of potatoes that we bought at the Morning Glory end-of-season sale. And an absolutely enormous bag of organic carrots.

I miss the fresh kale and summer squashes from my garden, but I do love winter veggies.

Unfortunately, though, the time of local eating appears to be drawing to a close 'til spring. The farmer's market is long over, Morning Glory has closed, and the local produce stocked at Cronigs has dwindled to almost nothing. I've made many adjustments to my diet to accomodate the change of season, forgoing many foods that I'd really much rather still be eating (not that out of season produce trucked from California or South America tastes good anyway). When fall came, I happily made the switch to potatoes and carrots, and as much acorn squash as I could eat. But I can't give up everything. We'll still keep the classic cooking vegetables in our fridge--onions, peppers, celery, carrots. We'll probably keep buying potatoes after the Morning Glory ones run out. And sometimes, just sometimes, I really need salad greens.

February will be all about grains and legumes.

I hope our plans for a rooftop garden actually come to fruition...

No comments:

Post a Comment